Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Is green rooibos 100 times sexier than red rooibos?

So I was googling some stuff earlier and I happened upon this site, which states, "Green Rooibos has 100 times more antioxidants and 10 times more aspalathin than regular fermented Rooibos."

The latter statement I might buy. The former? Not so much. Green tea has more antioxidants than black tea, it's true, but not 100 times more, and I see no reason to believe that rooibos is that much different.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of conflicting information on the internet, as I've mentioned before. Some people claim green rooibos has more antioxidants than any type of infusion. Some say the green variety is 40 times as good for you as the red variety (also a very doubtful claim). It can be hard to sift through all the misinformation out there, but fortunately I found something. Not much, but something.

According to the article, green tea comes out on top, followed by green rooibos, red rooibos, semioxidized rooibos, black tea, and oolong tea.

I see two strange things here. Why would semioxidized varieties of tea and rooibos have fewer antioxidants than full oxidized varieties? I admit I'm not a scientist, but everything I've read has said oolong tea has a higher antioxidant ability than black tea.

Green rooibos is fairly new to the market, so there understandably isn't as much research on it as there is green tea. Hopefully in the next couple years this issue will be resolved, if only because it'd be nice to know where rooibos stands in comparison to tea. Until then, though, it tastes great, is good for you, and has no caffeine or tannins, so drink up.


EDIT: I caught an error as I was scanning through this just now—green tea doesn't actually have more antioxidants than black tea, it just has more powerful antioxidants. The oxidation process changes the chemical structure of the polyphenols present in green tea, but it doesn't remove them. More on this later.

No comments: