Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Oxidation vs. Fermentation

Just a quick note and nit: when people talk about black or oolong teas being "fermented," they are using the wrong word. There is no fermentation in the production of tea. Fermentation is used in alcohol production and anything else where energy is produced in anaerobic conditions (like in your muscles or compost heap). Tea does not undergo a process like this at all. Tea is oxidized, where essentially oxygen is allowed to change the molecular structure of the leaves and produce black and oolong teas (and even white teas, sometimes).

I just thought I'd clear the air on this. It's been bothering me lately. I received a catalog in the mail for an herb company I often buy from, and they also sell some tea products. They had a jasmine green tea and said the jasmine leaves were fermented with the tea leaves. First of all, green tea isn't oxidized, but since I like the company I can forgive them that specific offense. But the usage of the term "fermentation" is a crime committed by many a tea retailer, and I will not stand for it!

No comments: